With the madness of March overwhelming my thoughts, I’ve been asking myself constantly... where in the world is UAPB (University of Arkansas Pine Bluff)?!?!?
Well obviously it’s in Pine Bluff - which is in Arkansas - Duh - But with UAPB dominating Winthrop in the play-in game I wanted to know more about this town and WHY they are a Division 1 team? What is the jelly to PB?
Some quick facts about PB:
- Population of 50,667, the 7th most populous city in Arkansas
- It lies along the Arkansas River and is named after a bluff along the river
- Home of Pine Bluff Arsenal, a site for demolition of chemical weapons
- Mike Huckabee was a pastor at PB’s Immanuel Baptist Church
- Original home of Willie Roaf, tackle in the NFL
- Leading industries are cotton, paper/wood products and wire products.
- The many paper mills in the area give PB its “distinctive odor” commonly known amongst Arkansans
After this bit of research, I really came to feel a connection with Pine Bluff. I’m thinking about heading there for a little vay-kay... maybe... Anyways, I wish you could have pulled off the greatest upset in the history of sports you guys! Nice try.
You only lost by 29 points! I would have probably lost by a lot more... so congrats!